ICAS Adoption Policy
- Thank you for your interest in adopting a dog or cat from the Inyo County Animal Shelter.
- Our goal is to place animals in the most appropriate homes possible, for the benefit of both animal and owner. Therefore, we have outlined the most common issues below that could result in your application being declined:
1. Providing false information on the application form.
- 2. Not meeting minimum age requirements (18 years).
- 3. No permanent address.
- 4. Lack of proper identification.
- 5. Lack of landlord approval for renters.
- 6. Inadequate fencing or containment system.
- 7. Too many animals for the size of your lot.
- 8. Refusal to license and vaccinate in required areas.
- 9. Refusal to spay or neuter.
- 10.Past history of your dog being picked up as a stray.
- 11. Refusal to provide proper shelter, food or medical care.
- 12.Refusal to allow Animal Services to do a pre-adoption screening.
- 13.Conviction for animal neglect within the last 3 years.
- 14.Conviction for animal abuse within the last 5 years.
- 15.Lack of compliance with the size limitations for mobile home parks.
- 16.Demonstrated inability to properly care for pets.
- 17.The animal you have selected is not suited to the dynamics of your family.
The Inyo County Animal Shelter is an agency of the Inyo County Sheriff's Department.